Friday, October 22, 2010

Medoc Trail Races

For the third year, I've participated in the Medoc Trail Races.  Though the terrain is very difficult to run, I love running there.  It's so much fun and a beautiful setting!  The past two years, I've done the 10- miler.  This year, I must have been insane during registration, because I signed up for the Marathon.  As if 10 miles on those trails isn't tiresome enough...  let's sign up for more than double the distance!  Great idea!!

Truthfully, I wanted the medal.  That's why I ran the marathon.  I had two 10- miler medals already and wanted the "marathon" version.  This years medal was a really cool cut-out design, too:





































I'd gotten there two hours prior to the start, since Jon was volunteering...  so I had plenty of time to wander about and really let what I was about to do get into my head.  I started out feeling OK, but during the whole first lap, kept watching the mile markers...  7...  8...  9...  thinking...  damn!  I could be finishing right now!  Why didn't I do the 10- miler???  Plus, my feet started rubbing early on, so I knew I was blistering, and that made me want to stop even more.  It's either the trails, the trail shoes (which I only wear at Medoc) or perhaps a combination of the two, but it's extremely tough on my feet running there.  Anyway, once I finished the first lap, I reached the point where the 10- milers turn to the right to finish, and the marathoners veer left to start on Lap 2.  With Scott Wingfield standing at the split directing folks, he refused to let me turn right.  LOL!  So off I went, starting on Lap 2.  Here is a pic Scott took...  me with chocolate chip cookie in hand, which was a mighty fine pick me up!


I must say, after starting Lap 2, it was a whole new race for me.  There were no more 10- milers coming past me.  The crowd was very thin.  A little ways into this lap, I heard someone really fast coming up on me.  I moved aside and saw it was Sam Brown from RRO, followed by another guy.  Great...  I've just been lapped!  I knew these were elite runners though, so I tried not to take it personally.  Sometime later, I was probably around the 13 - 14 mile point, and I heard an eruption of cheers.  I knew the first marathon finisher had just crossed.  I checked my watch, and it was 3:02.  No surprise, it was Sam Brown who won. 

Despite the blisters, my second lap was much better than the first.  I felt way better and the end of this lap, which was very encouraging!  Here, I'm about to start on my 3rd and final lap...  picture courtesy of Ron Fleming.  Note, my new favorite running shirt got lots of attention!  It says "Does this shirt make my butt look fast?"  It's printed on the front, and right across the butt on the back.  Too funny...   :o)



Ah..  the third lap.  How quickly things can change!  I'd tried a new strategy during this marathon.  Instead of doing a scheduled run/walk, I planned to run all the time, except when climbing a hill.  This seemed to work well for me all day, but I was starting to get tired.  I stumbled a few times during this lap. 

I made it to the final aid station, where Frank Lilley was cheering me on!  As always, a pleasant face to see!  The mile marker just past the aid table showed 20.2, so I had 6 miles left.  At this point, I started a run/walk.  I had to.  I was simply worn out!  And it was a S-L-O-W six miles.  I was averaging about 15 minutes per mile.  But that's OK, I was still moving forward.  It felt so great to see the 25.2 mile marker!  One mile left....  so lets go!  I gave it all I had for that last mile, knowing I'd be close to a 6 hr. finish, but was really hoping to come in under that.  I took that final turn and headed for the finish line, and crossed in 5:55:35.  Given how difficult the course is, I was pleased with the time.

 

4 comments:

  1. 5:55 a Medoc is a GREAT time! And when I saw you in the middle of lap three, you looked to be in great shape! Those last 6 miles are always tough! But you, Amber, are tougher! Congratulations on a medal well earned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an accomplishment Amber. Finishing a tough marathon and also reaching your goal of a sub six hour. That is wonderful and you got a beautiful medal to boot! By the way, love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete