Last weekend, I returned to Virginia to run the 33rd annual Richmond Marathon. Because of a herniated disk Jon has been dealing with for nearly 3 months, he dropped down to the half marathon.
Last year, Richmond was my second marathon. I had a goal of breaking 5 hours, and was successful ( old blog ). So this year, I'd set a new goal of 4:45. I wanted to use my new strategy of running straight through, until I felt I absolutely had to take a walk break.
It was a crisp, cold, sunny fall morning... the conditions were perfect for running! I crossed the 10k mat in 1:00:39. Good pace to start. I continued on at this pace, crossing the half marathon mat in 2:09:31. Note, had I been running the half, this would have been a PR as well. Near the half way point, I took a quick walk up a hill just long enough to take a GU. I continued running, and soon reached the dreaded Robert E. Lee bridge, which had a nice crosswind that day. I ran every step of that bridge! Afterwards, I was really tired. I reached the 16 mile "junk food station" and took a much needed walk break. I decided to partake of the junk food this year, and I had a chocolate chip cookie, a shot of Coca-Cola and a few gummie bears.
From there, I continued running and crossed the 20 mile mat at 3:24:22. Still holding a decent pace (10:13 at this point), but starting to get tired. Around mile 23, I got an ice cold wash cloth. As beautiful as the scenery was running along the James River, and the tree- lined streets with fall colored leaves falling all around, this wash cloth was the highlight of my day. LOL! It felt so great to wipe off my face and neck. I took about three short walk breaks during the last 6.2 miles, but still held my pace to finish things out. In the last downhill stretch, I broke into a full sprint. It's always nice to blow past a few folks that close to the end! I crossed the finish line at 4:33:19.
Jon finished his race and had returned to the hotel to shower, before coming back down to see me finish. I was not emotional when I crossed the finish line, but when I saw him, for some reason, I was just overcome and I actually teared up a bit. I was so proud of my time and felt I had worked so hard... it was the first time I've ever gotten emotional after a race.
Every marathon is hard... some in different ways than others... and I'm proud to have finished six of them now. But this is the first race that I really feel like I "raced". I hope there are many others!

So proud of you! Great job! I just can't help but wonder how quick you'll get!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great race. I like Frank wonder just how much quicker you are going to get. Your feeling that you actually raced a marathon is a testament to your ability and desire to get faster. I for one, know that you will continue to improve. Congratulations on a great race and a new PR by a long ways.
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention in the post, that I'd left my watch at home. (accidentally) So this was the first race I'd ever done not knowing what my time looked like, until I crossed a timing mat. I think it may have helped me, actually.
Back in my fast marathon days, I use to hit the split button on my watch every mile. I always knew exactly where I was all of the time. I guess wearing a watch has always been a part of me. In ultras I certainly use my watch, but it seems like most of the time I use it to know how long I have been out and the time between aid stations. I will tell you this though, I have talked to a good many people running ultras who have stopped wearing watches during races and they say it has helped so much. You may have stumbled upon something that really helps you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete