We continued on at this pace, thru the half-way point. Feeling fatigued, we decided to drop the intervals down to 3-1. On a positive note, the trails and park as a whole are absolutely beautiful. I was very much enjoying the race, visually. At some point after the half-way mark, we crossed paths with Frank and he took our picture.
That's one thing I enjoyed about the route, is all the down and back sections. You contstantly get to see folks. Some are ahead of you, and in some places, you see folks who are behind you... but there's always someone passing by that can give and receive words of encouragement. This helps SO much during a tough race.
Around mile 18, I had some kind of mental breakdown....LOL! Poor Jon, he was pulling ahead a bit and had to deal with me losing my mind. My legs were hurting so bad, and I was nearly in tears at the thoughts of having 8 more miles to go. This is a long way when you are in pain. I struggled along between miles 18 - 20, and decided that getting upset wasn't helping matters at all, so I gave myself a little pep talk.
Surprisingly, my legs started feeling better at mile 20. Maybe it was the pep talk? Or maybe I took a gel shot and that kicked in. Around mile 22, Jon and I separated a bit. He was stopping periodically to stretch his achilles. I stopped running intervals and was running for as long as I could, until I reached a hill. Then I would walk.
Notably, three BIG hills, named Corkscrew Hill, Wheels Fell Off Hill, and Cemetery Hill were all in the last 6 miles of the race. Purposely planned, I'm sure. Hahaha! I walked all of these. Every step of them. Although I felt decent, I had no energy to run up a hill.
Finally, I reach the top of Cemetery Hill and I hit the 25 mile marker. In the home stretch now...........
I crossed the finish line in 5:32:04. Jon was next with a time of 5:37:09. Another neat thing was the announcer calling out each persons first/last name as they crossed the line. That made it feel really personal.
During the race, I remember thinking to myself..... the hell with Umstead, I'll never come back here!! But after finishing the race, I felt I had really accomplished something. I would like to run it again next year. For something that seemed like pure torture at the time, it was pretty fun!


I love it! Both you and Jon totally amaze me! Most folks would have decided to stay home and not even try what you all did. You two are "the spirit of the marathon!" and I'm so proud of both of you! Totally enjoyed you report, reliving all the fun! I'll see you BOTH there next year too!
ReplyDeleteFrank