Monday, February 22, 2010

Umstead Marathon Awaits ....

Jon and I are running in the Umstead Trail Marathon two weekends from now.  I'm both excited and scared!

First off, we've not done ourselves any favors by not training properly through the winter months.  I've continued my short runs during the week, but neither of us had any long runs since the Richmond Marathon in mid- Nov.  Sigh....  that's embarrassing to even admit!

Now, we have worked out...  daily...  with either a P90X or Insanity routine, which are core, plyometric and cardio to the MAX, with some weight lifting mixed in.  So most certainly, our cardiovascular health is there and our endurance should be as well.  But the familiarity of having our legs carry us for 26.2 miles is severely lacking.

We tested this yesterday by running near a half distance.  Ha!  It was a fairly decent run, but nearing home, I didn't want to run any further...  and I'm actually sore today.  Not a good sign!  Unfortunately for Jon, his achilles started bothering him yet again.  I hope this is not problematic on race day.  Hoping the run/walk intervals will help....  but I realize with all the hills Umstead has to offer, it could prove to be a challenging day for the both of us.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch . . . Umstead may hurt some! (all marathons hurt for sure. But this will be hard!)

    But just be willing to walk . . . probably more then you would like! Remember . . . just "keep relentlessly moving forward!"

    Frank

    ReplyDelete