Well, shame on me... this blog is WAAAAY past due!
Back on July 17th, Jon and I took a recurring yearly trip to Beaufort, NC for the historic Beaufort Road Race. For those of you who've run it before, you know how miserable a race it can be. But the town is so charming, and the race is such a challenge, I just love going back every year!
Like last year, we made a weekend of it, staying Fri/Sat nights at The Pecan Tree Inn. The 10k race started at 8:00 AM Saturday morning, by which time the air was already hot, humid, muggy, sticky, salty and whatever other words you can think of to describe miserable running conditions! My hopes to break an hour in Beaufort were crushed, however, I did improve my time from last years race by several minutes.
My finishing time was 1:01:36... right behind Jon's time of 1:01:30. After the race, we returned to the B&B and had breakfast, then showered and headed out to browse all the shops on Front St.
We were scheduled to leave on a boat later that afternoon to visit Shackleford Banks. For anyone who doesn't know, Shackleford Banks is a 9 mile island that's totally undeveloped. The only inhabitants are wild horses which have thrived on Shackleford (and nearby Carrot Island) for hundreds of years. Jon and I were dropped off on the island and had two hours to explore, before the boat would return to pick us up.
We had been walking on the ocean side for about an hour, fighting the relentless wind, when the topic of marriage came up and Jon popped the question! He surprised me with a stunning Emerald- cut solitaire in a hand-made Tacori setting. So after 7 years of dating, it looks like we're taking the plunge! After that, we made our way over to the sound side and walked for another 45 minutes or so, and saw some wild horses along the way.
The rest of our weekend was wonderful. I hated to leave, but we headed home Sunday morning to share the good news with our families!
Plans have just been finalized... Jon and I will wed in Las Vegas, NV at The Venetian on Nov 30th! I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!! I'm sure our homecoming will be followed with a blog and plenty of pictures... :o)
Amber, Who gives a big woopie about your race time. Sounds like there are more important things to think about. Congratulations to you and Jon. That is so wonderful and special. I am so happy for you both. Rick
ReplyDeleteWell thanks, Rick!
ReplyDeleteWe're very much looking forward to the trip. I can't wait for it to get here!
WOW! That was exciting!!! Oh . . . and the engagement was okay too! :-) Seriously, so very happy for both of you!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Frank! (or should I say, Rev. Le)
ReplyDelete