I'm SO behind on my blog, it's ridiculous! Haven't talked about a race since August... so I will quickly address each one.
On September 24, 2011, a big group from the RMEC met up in Rockingham, NC to participate in the Hinson Lake 24 Hr Run. I have to say, this was the most laid back, leisurely running experience I've ever had! We all camped out the Friday night before. Camping (my first time!) was very humid... not the most restful night before a run. The course is a 1.5 mile loop around a lake, and at the end of the loop, someone counts your lap and you continue on. You would think this would get boring... but it really didn't. The loop never got old, and it was cool because after each lap we passed by our RMEC canopy and you could stop, grab a drink, snack, rest, etc... it made for a really fun experience! My biggest issue.... needing protein. They had great snacks, but that's basically all there was. I had bouts of nausea during the afternoon because of this, and at times couldn't run at all. Eric Ghiloni saved me with a protein shake he had. Next time, I will prepare for this and pack my own food stuff. I can still enjoy what the race provides, but will make sure the necessities are covered for what MY body needs.
After doing this one, I know what worked, what didn't, and what would make my run more comfortable next year. This is a DEFINITE run to repeat. I hope we carry an even bigger crowd in 2012! Also, Jon and I only ran about 9 hours, then relaxed for a couple hours and finally ate some pizza for dinner. We had all intentions of camping Saturday night as well, and continuing around the loop, even if just walking. However, the potential threat of rain, along with the thoughts of a hot shower and a comfy bed at Jon's grandmother's house was enough to pull us away! At the drop of a hat, everyone in the RMEC crowd packed up and left, except Frank. He stayed until the run ended at 8:00 AM on Sunday. Looking back, I wish I'd have stayed. Next year, I will.
_________________________________________
On October 15th, I took part in the Medoc Marathon. I said after last years race, I would never run the marathon again... but for some reason, I let Jon sign me up. Aaaagh! This is a terribly hard race, and though my conditioning was better this year, it ended up being a pretty warm day and it took me longer this year than last.... I didn't think that was even possible! Finishing time of 6:07:58.
Meanwhile, Jon ran this marathon for the first time. He now agrees, it's the hardest one he's done! However, he's not had a good track record with the marathon distance thus far, so even though this course was so difficult, he still PR'd with a time of 5:21:42. I'm confident he will PR again on his next road course.
_________________________________________
On November 13th, Jon and I ran the OBX Half Marathon. We spent a relaxing 4 nights in the Outer Banks with the Ghiloni's and other friends, which was an absolute blast. One of my goals for 2011 was to PR in a half distance. I don't do that many half's anymore, so I purposely scheduled a few for this year, with my goal in mind. I maintained a PR pace till I hit the bridge that crosses over into Manteo. This was around mile 11, I think. I decided to walk up the steepest part of the bridge. After I finished the climb, I had quite a nice run down the other side, but my average pace had slowed enough to keep me from PR'ing. I was aiming for a 2:12 and I finished this one in 2:13:54. Just short... dang it!
I tell myself if I hadn't walked the bridge, I would have made it. But who knows... I would have used more energy running it, and that would have slowed down my last couple of miles anyway. Oh well. Jon had another blazing PR (he's PR'd on every race distance this year) running a 1:52:03. Holy cow! I can't even come close to keeping up with him now. I've created a running monster! :o)
_________________________________________
The following weekend, November 19th, Jon and I ran in the Nash Street Mile 10k race in Wilson. I enjoyed this race... it's small, local and for a great cause. I ran a nice comfortable pace, finishing in 59:05 and once again, Jon blew it up and PR'd this distance with a time of 48:49.
_________________________________________
And five days later on Thanksgiving Day (Nov 24), the Shingleton's and Ghiloni's went to Raleigh for the Skinny Turkey Half Marathon! The course description said "the course is a rolling design with a few hills that are sure to test fitness." Ha! What an understatement! Hills, hills and more hills... long, slow, inclines that seem to never end. Jon vowed to run with me and pace me, hopefully to a PR. But I told him this was not a PR course. I managed to hang with him, running all the hills, thru 5+ miles. Then I had to start walking some of the uphills.
Jon went on ahead, picked up his pace, finishing in 2:03:52. Around mile 8, Eric met up with me and we ran together for maybe a mile... then I had to make a potty stop, so Eric went on. From around mile 10, I walked every single uphill to the end. I was exhausted! Finished in 2:22:05, which for that course, I was pleased with the time. What a great start to a day, when you know you'll be eating excessively! I'd like to do this race again next year.
_________________________________________
And now, preparing for my next blog.... on our trip to Las Vegas! Flying out Dec 2nd for a week, celebrating our anniversary, running the Las Vegas Marathon on Dec 4th, and just having a blast in Vegas! What a great city... I can't wait!!!
UPDATE: I forgot a few races! Labor Day weekend, we ran the Virgina Beach Half Marathon, and mid- September, we ran the Golf Course 10k in Rocky Mount. Then came Hinson Lake......
What a great run of races!
ReplyDeleteI remember when you were worried about increasing your distance from 2.4 miles to 2.5 miles!!!
You've come so far! Congratulations!
Ditto to Frank's comments. You have come so far Amber. What a great set of races and I can tell you are having fun. Hard to believe it has been one year for you and Jon. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary and have a great time in Las Vegas!
ReplyDelete