Sunday, June 12, 2011
"Just Say No" to Boogie.....
Well, yesterday Jon and I traveled to Ellerbe, NC to run the Boogie Marathon again. Last year, this race was a killer and due to several issues, we ended up walking a LOT and it took us nearly 7 hours to finish. (old blog here) This year was all about redemption! We were well trained and felt a lot better prepared.
Well.... within the first 6 miles, I could tell that training means nothing in the eyes of Boogie! The hills are challenging, but it's the heat that gets you. This years temperatures were actually a couple degrees cooler, but the humidity was insane! Way worse than last year.
Jon and I ran the first 6 mile loop together, then he kept going as I stopped at the car to hydrate. During the 4 mile down and back section, we passed each other near the turn-around. So we weren't too far apart. Then came Bethel Hill, which is about a 1.5 mile uphill section that seems to never end. I walked most of this, which lost some time... and my feet were starting to burn pretty bad on the side of both big toes and the side of the forefoot. Seems to be an issue I'm having lately.
Once I passed the car this next time, I stopped to check out my feet. I put bag balm on both feet, filled my water bottle and headed back out. I ran this whole next section trying to make up some time, until I got to the tough hills on the back side of the loop, which I walked. There are 4 big hills. My feet felt better, but I was trying to change my gait to prevent more rubbing. Not sure this was working.
Once I finished this section, I passed the car again and Jon was there... not looking very good. He was nauseated and was really close to being physically sick from the heat. I'm telling you, it was unreal... I've never sweated so much in my life! When your clothes are completely saturated, there's just no way to cool off. In addition to Jon's nausea, he felt dehydrated. So was I... I'd been drinking and drinking, yet my mouth stayed dry.
With the way Jon felt, he was done... and rightfully so. It was the smart thing to do. Nausea doesn't just go away and if he'd have tried to finish, even if just walking, I think he would have paid the price. As for me, well nothing was really wrong with me, except that I was hot and miserable and I knew if I ran 10 more miles my feet would probably be trashed afterwards, so it really didn't hurt my feelings to stop there. At that point, Jon's well being was more important that my muddling through the rest of the race.
In retrospect, I do hate that I have a DNF on my record. But I'm proud to say it's a DNF from Boogie, because if any race can yield one, this race can!! I did Boogie last year, suffered some, but got through it. So I know I can complete this race.
Could I have finished last night? Sure.
But did I mind not completing it? Not really.
** Special shout-out to Frank Lilley, who completed his first Boogie 50- Miler! Totally awesome, especially given the conditions. I heard there were quite a few drop-outs.
** Thanks for the pics too, Frank. I grabbed a couple from your Facebook album.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great seeing you and Jon again out there doing one tough run. These things happen and it seems a dnf always comes up when you least expect it. It was very humid and as the night went on that humidity came down in buckets. This one is behind you for a year, but I have a feeling you will be back for a little redemption next year.
ReplyDeleteFirst time doing the Boogie for me. The rain was really something else on top of the hills. I really had to regroup to get through it. Tough race and some wonderful folks taboot. I'm sure things will go better next time.
ReplyDeleteBoogie is a bitch! But that is one of the reasons it's so special. You never beat Boogie . . . but hopefully you can just come to an understanding with her.
ReplyDeleteSounds to me like you all made good decisions. Next year will be your year!